Nemours is world-renowned for the diagnosis and treatment of achondroplasia and other skeletal dysplasias. We work as a team to maximize children’s mobility, correct deformity and prevent future complications. If your child has been diagnosed with achondroplasia (a type of skeletal dysplasia), we’re here to ease your concerns, answer your questions and give your child the best possible chance for a healthy future.
Internationally Recognized Care for Achondroplasia
Services We Offer for Achondroplasia
Nemours offers a full range of care for newborns, kids and teens with achondroplasia. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- advanced medical imaging to monitor changes in the bones and joints, as well as organs
- assistive technology to help kids communicate, learn and get around
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers to help us diagnose and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born
- genetic testing to assist with diagnosis and family planning
- neonatal care for expert infant medical care right after birth
- orthopedic care from one of the largest and most widely respected pediatric programs in the world, providing innovative work in spine surgery and limb realignment
- orthotics and prosthetics shops that can be custom-made right in the hospital
- pain management programs just for kids
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offer physical, occupational and speech therapy
- plastic surgery for reconstruction your child might need for function and appearance
- psychology and social work to help your child emotionally cope with their condition
- surgery by pediatric neurosurgeons for problems affecting the nerves or brain
- transition of care when it’s time for adult care and services
Why Choose Us for Achondroplasia Diagnosis and Care
Nemours Children’s Health System has been recognized for delivering advanced pediatric orthopedic care since 1940. Families from all over the world travel to see our skeletal dysplasia experts. Our genetics doctors have the experience and training to diagnose even the rarest types of skeletal dysplasia. Once we’ve identified your child’s condition, we work together to create a personalized treatment plan.
Treatment is led by our world-renowned pediatric orthopedic experts, including Dr. William Mackenzie. Since skeletal dysplasia can evolve and change with time, Nemours has established one of the world’s top pediatric imaging programs to track and measure changes to children’s bodies.
Our care navigators coordinate appointments since most kids need appointments with different specialists, and some may need multiple surgeries. We also help kids with achondroplasia achieve the highest possible function and quality of life through access to Nemours experts and support services, including:
- clinical trials research opportunities
- support services and community resources
Regional Achondroplasia Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete care for children with achondroplasia at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric orthopedics and surgery by U.S. News and World Report .
We offer complete care for children with achondroplasia at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville and our hospital affiliates, Wolfson Children’s Hospital and Mayo Clinic in Florida, with outpatient and follow-up appointments available at select Nemours locations.
Nemours orthopedic specialists provide the care and orthopedic surgery and hold dual physician leadership roles at Wolfson Children’s Hospital’s orthopedics team, ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the 50 best children’s hospitals in the nation for orthopedics.