Multiple epiphyseal dysplasia (MED) is a disorder of bone and cartilage development that results in small irregular epiphyses (ends of long bones that are next to the joints). It usually isn’t diagnosed until a child is at least two years old and starts to feel pain in the joints like arthritis. Nemours is world-renowned for diagnosing and treating skeletal dysplasias, including MED. Our world-renowned experts have the experience to diagnose and identify symptoms caused by multiple epiphyseal dysplasia. We’re here to answer your questions and build a personalized care plan to relieve symptoms and help your child live life to the fullest.
Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia
Internationally Recognized Treatment for MED
Services We Offer for Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia
Nemours offers a full range of care for kids and teens with MED. Services vary by specialist and location, but may include:
- advanced medical imaging to monitor changes in the bones, joints and organs
- congenital heart defect expertise that includes heart surgery
- fetal diagnostic testing in our perinatology and fetal medicine centers to help us diagnose and make a treatment plan for when your baby’s born
- gastroenterology helps with nutrition support
- genetic testing to assist with diagnosis and family planning
- neonatal care for coordinated, critical care immediately after birth
- orthopedic care from one of the largest and most widely respected pediatric programs in the world, providing innovative work in spine surgery and limb realignment
- orthotics and prosthetics that can be custom-made right in the hospital
- otolaryngology (or “ENT”) expertise for ear infections and early audiology needs due to structural differences
- pain management programs just for kids to help with symptoms or post-surgery pain
- physical medicine and rehabilitation offer physical, occupational and speech therapy
- plastic surgery for reconstruction needed for function and appearance
- psychology and social work to help kids emotionally cope with their condition
- pulmonology care for newborns with respiratory needs and ongoing infections as kids grow
- transition of care when it’s time for adult care and services
Why Choose Us for Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia and Care
Nemours Children’s Health System has been recognized for delivering advanced pediatric orthopedic care since 1940. Families from all over the world travel to see our skeletal dysplasia experts. Our genetics doctors have the experience and training to diagnose even the rarest types of skeletal dysplasia, like multiple epiphyseal dysplasia (MED). Once we’ve identified your child’s condition, our care teams work together to create a personalized treatment plan that meets your family’s needs.
Treatment is led by our world-renowned pediatric orthopedic experts, including Dr. William Mackenzie. Since skeletal dysplasia can evolve and change with time, Nemours has established one of the world’s top pediatric imaging programs to track and measure changes to children’s bodies.
Our care navigators coordinate appointments since most kids need to see different specialists, and some may need multiple surgeries. We also help kids with MED achieve the highest possible function and quality of life through access to Nemours experts, clinical programs and support services, including:
- clinical trials research opportunities
- support services and community resources
Regional Multiple Epiphyseal Dysplasia Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete care for children with multiple epiphyseal dysplasia at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
duPont Hospital for Children is ranked among the best children’s hospitals in the nation for pediatric orthopedics and surgery by U.S. News and World Report .
We offer complete care for children with multiple epiphyseal dysplasia at Nemours Children’s Specialty Care, Jacksonville and our hospital affiliates, Wolfson Children’s Hospital and Mayo Clinic in Florida, with outpatient and follow-up appointments available at select Nemours locations.
Nemours orthopedic specialists provide the care and orthopedic surgery and hold dual physician leadership roles at Wolfson Children’s Hospital’s orthopedics team, ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the 50 best children’s hospitals in the nation for orthopedics.