Nemours pediatric hematologists (blood disorder specialists) provide leading treatment and support options for kids with blood disorders and their families. As part of the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (NCCBD), our pediatric hematology team works together with other specialists throughout our kids-only health system to make care and support services convenient for families.
Hematology (Blood Disorders)
Hematology Conditions We Treat
Pediatric hematologists work together with experts in allergy and immunology and rheumatology (rheumatologic autoimmune conditions) to treat all types of acute and chronic blood disorders and nonmalignant deficiencies of the immune system, including:
Hematology Services We Offer
Our blood disorder experts offer your child the latest in hematology treatment options with a personalized plan for long-term care. Services vary by location and condition, but may include:
- blood and bone marrow (stem cell) transplant programs accredited by the Foundation for Accreditation of Cellular Therapies (FACT)
- blood transfusion services and testing including red blood cell exchange transfusion
- clotting factors
- granulocyte colony stimulating factor (G-CSF)
- hormone therapy
- hydroxyurea therapy which may be started while your baby is still in the womb
- immunosuppressive therapy
- iron chelation to reduce iron in the blood
- nutrition plans from registered dietitians trained to care for kids with blood disorders
- pain management for post-surgery or chronic pain, including sickle cell crises
- palliative care helps with symptoms and offers support for your child and family
- steroid therapy to help increase hemoglobin or red blood cells
Why Choose Us for Pediatric Hematology
Our hematology (blood disorder) and oncology (cancer) specialists in the Nemours Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders combine our resources and expertise to offer families care that crosses geographic lines. That’s because the NCCBD isn’t a single “place,” but a comprehensive, multisite pediatric hematology program — with a focus on improving outcomes and providing state-of-the-art therapies.
In addition to medical care, we’re researchers and innovators — national leaders in our field. Since hematology care in children is different than in adults, our pediatric specialists have helped set the standard in providing the highest level of care, while reducing side effects on children’s growing bodies. Our NCCBD is also:
- a Children’s Oncology Group (COG) member institution and one of only three pediatric National Cancer Institute-designated Community Oncology Research Programs (NCORPs) in the nation.
- recognized by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) for meeting or exceeding the most rigorous standards in every aspect of blood and bone marrow transplant therapy.
- a comprehensive, full-service program that offers pediatric hematology and oncology expertise, access to 30-plus other medical and surgical specialties, and extensive collaboration with community health care organizations, which helps us give kids top-notch care from some of the best minds and facilities.
Regional Pediatric Hematology Highlights
Services, programs, facilities and care teams differ at each location. Call for details.
We offer complete pediatric hematology care at Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children (Wilmington, Del.) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours duPont Pediatrics locations.
Our Nemours Partners for Perinatal Management can help parents-to-be plan ahead, prepare and determine next steps for their baby’s possible fetal diagnosis, including sickle cell disease.
We offer complete pediatric hematology care at Nemours Children’s Hospital (Orlando) and outpatient appointments at select Nemours Children’s Specialty Care locations.
Our Nemours Center for Fetal Care is available at multiple locations throughout Central Florida to coordinate fetal tests, imaging and consults to help expecting mothers make the best decisions on many different health conditions, including sickle cell disease.